When handling a truck accident case, there are a number of factors that an attorney may consider when trying to determine who is responsible for the accident. If a person happened to get seriously injured or if someone dies when they are involved in a truck accident, the concern as to whether there will be enough liability insurance coverage to compensate that person may arise.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), a total of 3,660 people died in large truck crashes in the year of 2014. Get a better understanding of how an attorney will break down the details your truck accident to determine who is responsible.
Seriously injured or death: One of the first steps that an attorney may take is confirming if anyone was seriously injured or died in the accident. If so, then there is a concern as to whether there will be enough liability insurance coverage to compensate them.
Liability insurance coverage: Each person involved in the accident is required to carry liability insurance that may vary in amounts, so it is critical that a thorough investigation is done to determine who may be liable.
Determining who is liable: In the instance that it may not only be the truck driver and the owner of the truck who is liable but another party as well, your attorney will assist you in figuring out who is responsible for financials.
Statistics on truck accidents according to the Department of Transportation:
- Sixty-one percent of truck accident fatalities occur on major roads other than interstate highways;
- Annually, approximately 500,000 accidents involving trucks occur;
- Semi-trucks are only required to carry $750,000 in insurance coverage, and most carry only this;
- The most common causes of truck accidents are drivers under the influence of alcohol, drugs, medication; and
- When a big rig is involved in a crash, injuries are more severe than similar crashes involving automobiles.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a truck accident, contact one of our experienced Virginia truck accident attorneys immediately. We will provide you with the assistance that you need when dealing with all of the issues surrounding your damaged vehicle, personal injury or liability insurance coverage.