Most of us realize just how tragic motorcycle crashes can be, even in cases where the victim survives. Motorcycle accident injuries are often catastrophic in nature, with long-term, if not permanent, health issues and extended recovery periods. The medical expenses, loss of income, and other damages are often devasting to the victim and their family.
- Virginia Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Motorcycle Safety Tips to Help Avoid Wrecks and Serious Injuries
- Suffolk Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Discusses the Life-Altering Injuries That Can Result from a Collision
However, the effects of motorcycle accidents are so far-reaching that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have classified them as a national public health issue. The following are some of the facts the CDC considered when making this classification:
- The number of people killed in motorcycle accidents each year continues to rise at an extremely alarming rate. In fact, since the year 2000, there has been a frightening 85 percent increase in motorcycle accident deaths. Motorcycle accident fatalities happen almost 30 times more frequently than they do in passenger vehicle accidents. It is estimated that almost 90,000 motorcyclists are hurt in crashes each year.
- Motorcycle accidents do not just affect the lives of the victims. According to the CDC, the yearly economic burden placed on society because of motorcycle accident deaths and injuries is an astronomical $12 billion. These costs occur in a number of ways. Consumers pay higher insurance premiums and taxes to cover the costs of medical and other expenses caused by motorcycle accidents. Many of the charges from motorcycle accident hospitalization and rehabilitation are paid by Medicaid. There is also loss tax revenue because of victims’ inability to work, even if this is only a temporary issue while the victim recovers.
Contact a Dedicated Virginia Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be facing high medical bills and other financial difficulties. Our Virginia personal injury attorneys understand how overwhelming these cases can be. The legal team at Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn have been advocating for victims and their families for more than 30 years and use all available resources to get the best possible outcome for our clients.
Our Va. Accident attorneys have successfully advocated for many motorcycle accident clients and have obtained the financial damages they deserved for the injuries they sustained. An example of one of the many successful cases we have litigated can be found at this link. The victim suffered severe injuries, including fractured ribs, ruptured spleen, fractured humerus, and other serious injuries. The victim was in Level 1 intensive trauma care for nine days and then spent another month in recovery and rehabilitation.
We also offer a free motorcycle injury guide which offers information that you may find helpful.